The Millennium Goals and Beyond: Reflections on an international development policy agenda after 2015
Copyright: German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) 2011.
Bonn, 21.11.2011 bis 22.11.2011
This workshop, organised by the German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) in cooperation with the Poverty Reduction, Equity and Growth Network (PEGNet) and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Co-operation and Development (BMZ), contributed to the discussion about the future of development policy beyond the Millennium Development Goals.
The Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) were drawn up at the dawn of the 20th century as one of the most far-reaching development agendas ever proposed. The premise was simple, but ambitious: by the year 2015, the world’s governments committed to making significant progress toward reducing the worst forms of human deprivation and suffering from the face of the earth. This deadline is fast approaching. In the lead-up to 2015, the international development community is embarking on two parallel processes: on the one hand, evaluating the success of the MDG agenda – were the goals met? – and on the other hand, discussing possible instruments and targets that will provide a framework for development policy after 2015.
The workshop brought together academics from different disciplines and practitioners from development cooperation to discuss four major topics:
- The need for a new global development agenda.
- Measuring progress towards the goals.
- The content of a new global development agenda.
- The way towards a new consensus.
Alejandro Guarín or
- Workshop Report
- Loewe 2011 Good and bad about MDGs
- Vernon 2011 Beyond the MDGs
- Langford 2011 Post 2015 MDGs
- Mawuko 2011 Beyond the Rhetoric
- Voipio 2011 Comments
- Singh 2011 Emphasize Capacity Building, Inputs and Processes
- Koehler et al 2011 Human security
- Jütting and Rieländer 2011 Social cohesion
- Lange and Klasen 2011 Measuring Progress Towards the MDGs Against Historical trends
- Rippin 2011 Multidimensional poverty indices on trial
- Zavaleta and Alkire 2011 Key and missing components
- Donner-Reichle 2011 Comments
- Vandemoortele 2011 How to formulate the post-MDG agenda
- Melamed 2011 Creating consensus
- Adewole 2011 Global development regulatory organisation
- Tiwari 2011 Post 2015 Framework