Investment Facilitation for Development: Looking Back and Looking Forward
Fourth Virtual Capacity Building Workshop
International Trade Centre (ITC), German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE).
This 4th Virtual Capacity Building Workshop: Investment Facilitation for Development: Looking Back and Looking Forward is organised in the framework of the Investment Facilitation for Development project, jointly implemented by the International Trade Centre (ITC) and the German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE).
This virtual workshop will take place on 11 December 2020, from 15:00 to 16:30 Geneva time (Central European Time), 09:00 to 10:30 Eastern Standard Time, and 21:00 to 22:30 China Standard Time.
The workshop is meant to make an input into the WTO negotiations of an investment facilitation framework for development (IFF4D). It will provide an analysis of the state of play in the negotiations as regards to what has been achieved so far, while reflecting on key issues that should be considered in further working on an IFF4D, to achieve a broadly acceptable outcome by member states. It seeks to facilitate joint learning and capacity building among delegates, government officials, as well as technical experts.
The workshop is open to all WTO delegates and government representatives from capitals, as well as representatives from investment promotion agencies, the private sector and civil society.
We are aiming to make the workshop as participatory as possible. You will have the option of sending written questions/observations to the panelists during the meeting, by clicking on the “chat” button of the Zoom window and typing your question/comment.
- Pamela Coke-Hamilton, Executive Director, International Trade Centre
- Yi Xiaozhun, Deputy Director-General, World Trade Organization
- Otunba Adeniyi Adebayo, Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
What has been achieved, obstacles and the way forward
- Karl P. Sauvant, Resident Senior Fellow, Columbia University/Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment
- Mathias Francke, Ambassador-designate of Chile to the WTO, Coordinator of the Structured Discussions on Investment Facilitation for Development, “An assessment”
- Zhang Xiangchen, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of China to the WTO and coordinator of the Friends of Investment Facilitation Group
- Usha Chandnee Dwarka-Canabady, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Mauritius to the WTO
- Luiz Cesar Gasser, Ambassador and Director at the Department of Services and Industry Promotion at the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Hiddo Houben, Deputy Head of Delegation of the European Union to the WTO
- Grata Endah Werdaningtyas, Ambassador, Permanent Mission of the Republic of Indonesia to the UN, WTO and other International Organizations in Geneva
- Makane Moïse Mbengue, Professor and Director of the Department of Public International Law and International Organization at the Faculty of Law of the University of Geneva
- Michelle Ratton Sanchez Badin, Professor, Getulio Vargas Foundation, Brazil
- Matthew Stephenson, Policy and Community Lead, International Trade and Investment, World Economic Forum
- Anna-Katharina Hornidge, Director, German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE)
Hinweis / Please note
Während unserer Veranstaltungen werden z.T. Foto- und/oder Filmaufnahmen gemacht, die für Zwecke der Veranstaltungsberichterstattung und allgemeinen Öffentlichkeitsarbeit in verschiedenen Medien veröffentlicht werden. Sie haben jederzeit das Recht, die Foto- oder Videograf*innen darauf hinzuweisen, dass Sie nicht aufgenommen werden möchten.
During our events photos and/or videos may be taken which may be published in various media for the purposes of documentation and PR activities. You have the right at any time to point out to the photographer or videographer that you do not want to be photographed or filmed.
11.12.2020 / 15:00 - 16:30
The reports on the earlier capacity building workshops, the Expert Network and Commentary Group meetings and the general public webinars are available here.
Karl P. Sauvant, Matthew Stephenson, Khalil Hamdani, and Yardenne Kagan, “An Inventory of Concrete Measures to Facilitate the Flow of Sustainable FDI: What? Why? How?” (Geneva and Bonn: International Trade Centre and German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitk, Nov. 2020), available here.
Programme: “Investment Facilitation for Development: Looking Back and Looking Forward”