Step up together: How do we build a bridge from Bonn to San Francisco to Katowice?
German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE), Stanley Foundation, Blavatnik School of Government at the University of Oxford, World Resources Institute
2018 launches an international effort to enhance climate action and ambition by 2020, the first “ratchet” since the Paris Agreement. Cities, states, regions, businesses, investors, civil society groups, and other “non-party actors” play a critical role in delivering progress on the ground and in the real economy, as well as generating new opportunities for national governments to strengthen implementation and step up ambition. 2018 represents a year where parties and non-parties can “step up” together.
Focusing on this mutual reinforcement, this invitation-only event explored how non-party actors can support countries to step up action and ambition in 2018, while also looking forward to 2020.
It aimed to:
- Build a shared understanding across parties and non-parties on specific ways to work together to enhance ambition, including around:
- Building a bridge from the Global Climate Action Summit (GCAS) in San Francisco to COP24 in Katowice.
- Key messages and opportunities emerging from the Talanoa Dialogue.
- What outcomes from GCAS and COP24 can continue momentum into international and domestic processes in 2019.
- Build relationships across parties and non-parties to advance ambition.
Key discussion questions included:
- How can non-party actors champion ambitious policies; link or scale up climate action efforts through policy recommendations to governments; and share innovations in technical and regulatory practices and in business operations?
- What channels exist through which non-party actors can direct inputs to the UNFCCC and to national governments? What inputs should go where, and how can these work better?
- How can governments help support and maximize the impact of these non-party inputs and advance implementation and ambition through 2020?
Hinweis / Please note
Während unserer Veranstaltungen werden z.T. Foto- und/oder Filmaufnahmen gemacht, die für Zwecke der Veranstaltungsberichterstattung und allgemeinen Öffentlichkeitsarbeit in verschiedenen Medien veröffentlicht werden. Sie haben jederzeit das Recht, die Foto- oder Videograf*innen darauf hinzuweisen, dass Sie nicht aufgenommen werden möchten.
During our events photos and/or videos may be taken which may be published in various media for the purposes of documentation and PR activities. You have the right at any time to point out to the photographer or videographer that you do not want to be photographed or filmed.
07.05.2018 / 09:00 - 11:00
Bonn Marriott World Conference Hotel
-- The meeting is invitation only and space is limited. --
If you have questions about the substance of the meeting, please contact Rei Tang at email@example.com or +1 202-390-0559.
If you have questions about logistics, please contact Caitlin Lutsch, at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 563-554-3429.