Taking Global Climate Action beyond 2020 - Accelerating the Sustainable Future We Want
SBI/SBSTA 50 Side Event
German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE), York University
The 50th sessions of the UNFCCC Subsidiary Body for Implementation (SBI) and Subsidiary Body for Scientific and Technological Advice (SBSTA) took place in Bonn, Germany, from 17-27 June 2019. The German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) and York University were honoured to convene an official side event on "Taking Global Climate Action beyond 2020 - Accelerating the Sustainable Future We Want".
The role of non-state and subnational, or ‘non-Party’ actors, is gaining increasing attention in climate governance. Efforts by such actors present an enormous potential to spawn a multiplicity of solutions and to accelerate low-carbon and climate resilient transitions. The Marrakesh Partnership for Global Climate Action is playing a key role in mobilising and demonstrating non-state and subnational solutions. After 2020, such non-state and subnational action will remain crucial.
Building on outcomes of an expert workshop, this side event highlighted opportunities and presents recommendations to:
- continue and improve the efforts under the ‘Marrakech Partnership’ / Global Climate Action after 2020;
- broaden participation and strengthen Global Climate Action in the Global South;
- strengthen linkages to non-state and subnational climate action at the national-level in the implementation of NDCs;
- maximise synergies between national, regional, and international mobilisation efforts.
- Niclas Svenningsen, UNFCCC (TBC)
- Marike van Staden, ICLEI
- Ramiro Fernandez, Fundación Avina
- Augustine Njamshi, PACJA
- Therese Niner Guiao, Parabukas
- Hajar Benmoussa, Mohammed VI Foundation for Environmental Protection (TBC)
During our events photos and/or videos may be taken which may be published in various media for the purposes of documentation and PR activities. You have the right at any time to point out to the photographer or videographer that you do not want to be photographed or filmed.
17.06.2019 / 16:45 - 18:15
Bonn Climate Change Conference
WCCB, Room: Bonn
Platz der Vereinten Nationen 2
Promises and risks of nonstate action in climate and sustainability governance
Chan, Sander / Idil Boran / Gabriela Iacobuta et al. (2019)
published on Wiley interdisciplinary reviews: climate change 03 January 2019