World in Turmoil: How to address global challenges in times of nationalism
German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE), Global Challenges Foundation
Brexit, the election of Donald Trump and nationalist movements in Europe: The international system is facing serious challenges. In times when international cooperation is urgently needed to address global threats such as climate change, global conflict and extreme poverty, severe scepticism against multilateral institutions and international cooperation is on the rise.
What are the impacts of the recent developments for global governance? Will Trump and others dismantle the current global governance architecture and destroy achievements such as the Paris agreement or the adoption of the 2030 agenda for sustainable development? Or will the nationalist challenge serve as a wake-up call for all those believing in international cooperation and multilateral solutions? What kind of reforms and new models are necessary to overcome criticism and to jointly address global challenges?
This roundtable discussion addressed these questions from diverse perspectives.
- Dirk Messner, Director German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE)
- Carl Lindgren, Senior Advisor, Global Challenges Foundation
- Ottmar Edenhofer, Deputy Director Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) and lead author of the International Panel for Social Progress (IPSP)
- Susanne Salz, United Actors
- Nicola Bramkamp, Director Theatre Bonn
Moderator: Ute Lange
22.03.2017 / 18:00 - 19:30
German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE)
Please register with your name and contact details at firstname.lastname@example.org