A multilateral framework on investment facilitation for development: issues concerning implementation
German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE), International Trade Centre (ITC)
Negotiations on a multilateral framework on investment facilitation for development will start in the World Trade Organization (WTO) among 101 WTO members as soon as circumstances permit. The main objective of the negotiations is to increase the flow of sustainable foreign direct investment with a view towards advancing sustainable development.
This webinar was held in the framework of a joint ITC/DIE project on Investment Facilitation for Development. It discussed a number of issues that need to be considered during the negotiations concerning how such a framework would have to be implemented to meet its objective.
The webinar was conducted in an interactive manner and allowed questions by participants.
- Marion Jansen, Director and Chief Economist, ITC
Karl P. Sauvant, Resident Senior Fellow, Columbia University, CCSI
- The state of play of the Structured Discussions: Ambassador Mathias Francke of Chile, Coordinator of the Structured Discussions on Investment Facilitation for Development
- The lay of the land: the adoption of investment facilitation measures in countries: Axel Berger, Senior Researcher, DIE
- The role of special and differential treatment: Bernard Hoekman, Professor, European University Institute
- The role of technical assistance and capacity building: Anabel González, Non-Resident Senior Fellow, Peterson Institute for International Economics
- Institutional arrangements: Committee on Investment Facilitation: Alexandre Guido Lopes Parola, Permanent Representative of Brazil to the WTO
Hinweis / Please note
Während unserer Veranstaltungen werden z.T. Foto- und/oder Filmaufnahmen gemacht, die für Zwecke der Veranstaltungsberichterstattung und allgemeinen Öffentlichkeitsarbeit in verschiedenen Medien veröffentlicht werden. Sie haben jederzeit das Recht, den Foto- oder Videografen darauf hinzuweisen, dass Sie nicht aufgenommen werden möchten.
During our events photos and/or videos may be taken which may be published in various media for the purposes of documentation and PR activities. You have the right at any time to point out to the photographer or videographer that you do not want to be photographed or filmed.
30.04.2020 / 15:00 - 16:00
This webinar is part of a webinar series. Upcoming topics and dates will be published soon.
Please register here if you are interested in attending this webinar. This webinar is part of a webinar series. Upcoming topics and dates will be published soon.
How can an international framework for investment facilitation contribute to sustainable development?
Berger, Axel / Sebastian Gsell (2019)
Briefing Paper 15/2019
Towards G20 guiding principles on investment facilitation for sustainable development
Berger, Axel / Ahmad Ghouri / Tomoko Ishikawa / Karl P. Sauvant / Matthew Stephenson (2019)
published on T20 Japan March 2019